We all love good movie quotes, some of us more than others. Here’s what the American Film Institute has to say on the topic, with their top 100 movie quotes ever.
Naturally, film classics like Casablanca, the Godfather movies, The Wizard of Oz and others occupy a good portion of the list, but a few modern classics like When Harry Met Sally (#33), Silence of the Lambs (#21), Jerry Maguire (#25), Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (#85) made the list as well. See what you think.
I found the list of 400 nominations quite entertaining as well. Here’s a link to the PDF to download: http://www.afi.com/Docs/tvevents/pdf/quotes400.pdf. It’s only 85K, so it should load up pretty quick.
Some of my favorites off that list, which didn’t make the top 100 cut, include:
- "One million dollars." (by Dr. Evil in Austin Powers)
- "Have you ever danced with devil in the pale moonlight?" (by The Joker in Batman)
- "Okay. But I get to be on top." (by Josh in Big)
- "They may take away our lives, but they’ll never take away our freedom!" (by William Wallace in Braveheart)
- "Be the ball." (by Ty Webb in Caddyshack)
- "Come out, come out, wherever you are!" (by Max Cady in Cape Fear)
- "Yippie-ki-yay, motherf*****" (by John McClane in Die Hard)
- "First rule of Fight Club is: You do not talk about Fight Club." (by Tyler Durden in Fight Club)
- "I’ve been slimed." (by Dr. Peter Venkman in Ghostbusters)
- "Father to a murdered son. Husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next." (by Maximus in Gladiator)
- "I have nipples, Greg. Could you milk me?" (by Jack Byrnes in Meet the Parents)
- "I’m you number one fan." (by Annie Wilkes in Misery)
- "One, two, Freddy’s coming for you…" (by some kids in A Nightmare on Elm Street)
- "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." (by Inigo in The Princess Bride"
- "We all go a little mad sometimes." (by Norman in Psycho)
- "Bring out the gimp." (by Zed in Pulp Fiction)
- "They call it a ‘Royale with Cheese.’" (by Vincent in Pulp Fiction)
- "Get busy livin’, or get busy dyin’." (by Andy in The Shawshank Redemption)
- "I do wish I could chat longer, but I’m having an old friend for dinner." (by Hannibal in The Silence of the Lambs)
- "Do, or do not. There is no try. (by Yoda in Star Wars V: The Empire Strikes Back"
- "You’re so money and you don’t even know it." (by Trent in Swingers)